1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is vomiting, very skinny, diarrea, and a droopy comb.... WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hettieprincess, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hettieprincess

Hettieprincess New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    2 weeks ago she had an enlarged squishy crop, which seems a bit better, but she is still very sick. She's barely eating, has diarreah, with green in it at times. The vet checked her for parasites, but she's clear. I have her in a crate in the house, away from the other hens, because she was getting picked on- and she was my boldest hen!!!! So sad, please offer suggestions!!! I've given up on the vet... she prescribed an antibiotic, which I've been giving to her.

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    could be an internal infection but the ani-biotic should cover that hope shes ok [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Green diarrhea is a sign of starvation. Can you get her to eat some scrambled eggs? I would put some grit into her food--maybe she has an impacted crop. Is her crop full and firm? She may need some vitamins and electrolytes in her water. Chicken crumbles mixed with water to make a paste like oatmeal is usually attractive to most chickens. Hope she makes it.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Also, if you don't do this already get some Apple Cider Vinegar in her water Unpastuerized. It's good bacteria fighting bad in her digestive tract as well as providing an acidic environment in her gut which makes it inhospitable for these bad bacteria. This sounds like a sour crop gone bad. Oatmeal, blueberries all good stuff for a sick bird.....

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I would say also that that crop still sounds like it's blocked as it's not allowing the food to pass and get absorbed and nutrients used. You're going to have to clear it somehow. There are some techniques on youtube for clearing sour crop with gravity. Also great recommendations on threads on this forum....just need to search clearing a sour crop. Surgery to remove the blockage. Not sure if your vet will help you with that one or if you feel comfortable doing it.

just reading this thread. somethings worth a shot here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/284227/sour-crop-support-needed/10

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by