My hen is waddling

Articuno711

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2016
so recently i noticed my hen waddling and I felt her abdomen and it feels bigger than usual and it’s like squishy and kinda swelling. She had poop getting stuck so I don’t know if that’s a reason why she’s swelling. I cleaned her butt and now it’s clean and I did see her poop lots of times. The entire time she’s been acting like herself and she still is very active and has an appetite and I’m not sure what’s wrong with her.

Also any:
swollen & distended abdomen that is soft, squishy and feels full of liquid

red skin along their abdomen, likely missing feathers

waddling when walking

blue/purple tint to her comb & wattles

labored breathing

lethargy & lack of appetite?

Also any:
swollen & distended abdomen that is soft, squishy and feels full of liquid

red skin along their abdomen, likely missing feathers

waddling when walking

blue/purple tint to her comb & wattles

labored breathing

lethargy & lack of appetite?
She still has an appetite and she still acts herself except for the walking and swollen abdomen. I don’t have a good experience with vets and avian vets are too far from where I live.

Any pictures?
Can’t tell from a photo but I’ll show you one anyways. It was hard to get a clear photo she was moving a lot. Also I just cleaned her butt so her feathers are still a little wet and stuck together.

Attachments

• 4BAE3704-6BB8-4178-95D9-573C45A72A96.jpeg
    4BAE3704-6BB8-4178-95D9-573C45A72A96.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 9
  • F8986F93-9595-482E-94DE-DBC19EB5F68A.jpeg
    F8986F93-9595-482E-94DE-DBC19EB5F68A.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 8
I can’t see her abdomen in the pictures. I would compare her lower belly to other hens by cupping your hand between the legs. Does your hen still lay eggs? Waddling sometimes indicates egg binding or ascites (fluid in the lower belly.) Sometimes internal laying may also make the belly large and spongey or firm. These problems are common in older hens. If hens get short of breath or are having labored breathing, sometimes people will try to remove ascites fluid from the belly, or they will seek out a vet to do this to relieve pressure. Ascites fluid is colored yellow.

I can’t see her abdomen in the pictures. I would compare her lower belly to other hens by cupping your hand between the legs. Does your hen still lay eggs? Waddling sometimes indicates egg binding or ascites (fluid in the lower belly.) Sometimes internal laying may also make the belly large and spongey or firm. These problems are common in older hens. If hens get short of breath or are having labored breathing, sometimes people will try to remove ascites fluid from the belly, or they will seek out a vet to do this to relieve pressure. Ascites fluid is colored yellow.
Do they poop out this yellow fluid?

Back
Top Bottom