My hen isn’t doing well

Sepeters0727

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Update on my girl. She’s eating and drinking throughout the day. Having good poops. Holding her head up better. But I’ve been doing more research and I’m scared that she might have marecks disease. No external tumors but she still keeps her feet curled up under her. Could this be possible? I’ve seen where it will most likely spread throughout all of our hens but some can have it without problems.

ChickNanny13

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
She's about 6mo right? It's possible Mareks, if that's the case you need to separate her from the flock as it's highly contagious. Can she stand on her own? You say her feet are curled up under her, what about her toes? I'm thinking possible CPT (Curly Toe Paralysis) although it's mostly in chicks.

It won't hurt to separate her, if it's Marek's she'll have good days and bad but if she lasts a week, it's probably something else. It also won't hurt to treat for CPT, it's a vitamin deficiency (riboflavin), get some Nutri Drench or PolyVisol baby vitamin minus the iron (pricy). What are you feeding her? Give her some boiled egg yolk mixed with her feed, tuna, beef liver, anything high in riboflavin (B2)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curled-toe-paralysis-in-2-yr-old-hen.961883/

Sepeters0727

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Well this morning she been very vocal but she keeps swaying her head back and forth and looks like she’s twitching 😔
I was really hoping that she was going to recover from this but now I’m unsure.

Top Bottom