1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen isn't a hen.... Got two roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by N_Georgia, Dec 18, 2010.

1. N_Georgia

N_Georgia New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    I post on here about the four hens and a rooster that I brought back from Key West FL in October. Well Ive been having a problem getting them to roost in there coop so I put them up for several weeks. I went out today to clip there wings and well one of my hens has a full comb and spurs that are barely noticeable. I also noticed that they underside of his wings were roughed up and slightly raw underneath. My roo ( the one I knew I had) is fully developed and we have already began hatching his chicks. My point is will the full grown roo kill the juvenile as soon he gets to breeding age? I don't really want to get rid of any of them because in Georgia KW chickens are an endangered species. Not like I can go out and get one to add to the flock.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If they were raised together, it's a strong possibility they will be just fine, and the dominant rooster will just let the other one be secondary. There might be some tussling until the younger roo realizes he has to let the other roo be The Boss.

I have several roosters, and they all know that Carl is Head Rooster, and I am Carl's boss.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    You say a full comb and spurs barely noticeable? Ok what made you decide it was a roo...does it have saddle feathers and roo hackle feathers? A pol pullet can pop out a full comb nearly overnight and yes the ladies can have spur nubs as well..Have you checked for mites if you have ruffled feathers and raw it could be a condition not the rooster.
    We have lots of roosters that live together some are raised together and some are not but here they are expected to get along...and they do with only normal squabbles here and there.They know we are the ruler of their Universe and then they know who King Roos are and where they stand in line to the throne.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by