My hen just died...I have some questions *Graphic pic*

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I've had an 11 month old Araucana pullet for exactly one month now, who has not laid an egg. I had her shipped from PA from an NPIP breeder. He had her in a grow out pen with many others and said he did not know if she was laying or not. The past week she has been acting lethargic and keeping her eyes closed a lot. She did not show any signs of contagious-type illness (no sneezing, no nasal discharge, etc) but did have some watery diarrhea. She had continue to drink (A LOT) and eat a little up until today. When I came home from work today she was standing in the same spot I had last seen her in this morning. All along I suspect she may be laying internally, but never felt any abdominal swelling. I decided to bring her in and soak her in a warm epsom salts bath. Bad idea - it killed her.

As soon as I put her in the bath she started breathing heavy, and made some choking/gurgling sounds. A few times it looked as if she passed out. I soaked her for 20 mins, and I wrapped her in a towel on started to dry her off. I looked at her vent and it felt and looked really swollen, more so than it did before the bath. She jerked her head around towards her vent a couple times like she was trying to preen. A few minutes later she arched her head back and convulsed HARD. I could barely hang on to her. As she died she threw up a bunch of yellow stuff that looked like egg yolk.

My three questions: Did I kill her by soaking her in a warm epsom bath??
Is it possible that is egg material she threw up??
Can someone direct me to an article or thread on how to do an abdominal necropsy to check for internal laying?

Here are some pics of her stance before the bath, her vent (which to me felt a swollen just around the perimeter), and what she vomitted as she died. Tagging my emergency saviors: @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
20190326_174919.jpg

20190326_174646.jpg
20190326_181849.jpg

So sorry for your loss. Could she have eaten an egg recently in the coop? I can understand why you thought she vomited egg like material, but I doubt that it would be egg from her. It might have been bile, but I really don’t know. She may have suffered a crop problem, and that could have been something related to a reproductive disorder.

If you open her abdomen, look for any yellow or clear fluid that comes out when you piece the abdominal cavity. Take pictures of the organs as the belly is opened, and then place the organs on a garbage bag or paper and take pictures of those. I will post a link or two about how to do a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom