My hen just gobbled up a huge piece... Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickyboomboom, Oct 23, 2011.

1. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Clementine just swallowed a huge piece of fish.... It was about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide. I was trying to cut it into pieces and she made off with it. I'm not sure if there were bones/scales/fins in it. We just got back from fishing and decided to give the itty bitty fish my son caught to the girls.

I can't believe she swallowed all that. Crazy Clementine. Is she going to be able to digest that thing? She ate a lot of smaller pieces as well. Guess she has a taste for sushi.

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I've read a post on here about a hen eating a frog, whole, live, wiggling - [​IMG]

Make sure she's got some extra grit and I think she'll be fine.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    She'll be fine, mine do that as well but they seem to be fine [​IMG]

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Our geese and ducks have caught fish right out of our pond and laid them up on the shore to eat and our chickens have run over and snatched them right up and almost gobbled them down whole. We've never had problems! It's crazy to watch though! [​IMG] Your hen should be fine!

5. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Life is Good! :

I've read a post on here about a hen eating a frog, whole, live, wiggling - [​IMG]

Make sure she's got some extra grit and I think she'll be fine.

LOL...mine have caught toads before with no serious issues.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by