My hen just got sick today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Colorado Chick, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Hi all, when i let my hens out this morning, all were their happy little hen self. It was then that i realized that one of the nesting box doors was open, possibly allowing a draft through the night. fortunately they are under a heat lamp where they roost. But now my largest hen is exhibiting these symptoms: she is just standing out in the pen, slightly fluffed out feathers. Her crop is about 1/4 to 1/3 full. She did poop while i was out there, it had the normal solid dark/black poop, but the rest was a clear liquid. I quickly went and got her some water mixed with a liquid vitamin that i have used for other birds, and she did take a few sips of that (That stuff has always caused a quick bounce back in other species). When she blinks, it is a slow blink. She has had access to shelter food and water all day. She is a red sex links. Does anyone have any ideas? I am doing what i would normally do with our other bird species, but being that these are my first chickens, you guys were my first place to ask. Im wondering if i should bring her in for the night, or would that cause more stress and send her down hill faster? thank you

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she still acting ill and puffed up? It won't hurt her to come in for a night to warm up, so that you can watch her more carefully to see what she is eating, drinking, and her droppings. She could be cold, but think about worming her, and check her for lice and mites.

3. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    i went and checked on her about an hour ago. I placed her on her roost under their heat lamp. By that time, she had eaten more.Her crop was about 1/2 to 3/4 full. She squawked at me when i placed her on the perch. So i am thinking she is better already. They just finished their second round of worming about two weeks ago. Im pretty good at keeping an eye on feather conditions, but ill check again when i go check on her here in a bit. Ill also see if she still needs to be brought in. It is really warm here, we are in daytime temps of 40-60 which is not normal for here. We should be buried in snow right now......but anyway, thanks very much!

4. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    well i went back out and checked on her. She appeared perfectly normal. She was roosting, but as soon as she saw me, she perked up, stood on her roost, and when i went to get close to her, she did what she normally does and pecked at my clothing. Her eyes were alert, and she was talking to me. I swear by that vitamin stuff i gave her, it has brought many a bird back to great health. I will continue to keep an eye on her though. i didnt feel as though she needed to come in as she appeared to be normal. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by