My hen just had a full work up in the last 12 hrs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Aug 5, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Well Snowy just got a full bath in my tub. I washed her with Dawn because I saw some lice on her she also has scaley leg mites so my intentions were to address those initially. But once I got her feet cleaned off I noticed that she had a dark spot on the bottom of her pinkish/yellow foot. Another thing that I did not want to deal with, Bumble foot ( our first encounter ). So I got it opened and got the stuff out of it, packed it with neosporine (with no pain killer) and then I wrapped it. So she has had a bath, Bumble foot taken care of, Petrolium jelly applied (where the wrap wasn't) and sour or impacted crop taken care of all within 12 hours. Wow what a work-up. My son is holding her now, she is still wrapped up in a towel, and she is loving the extra attention.
    Any one have any other things (suggestions) I should address while i'm at it? Thanks

Mollie

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Just give her some tlc and another last thourough body check! Some love would be great for her right now
    [​IMG]

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Oh she is def. getting that. she is sitting right here with me now getting cuddled. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow, talk about spa day! [​IMG]

Caviar? Champagne, m'lady?

Great job getting her cleaned up and on the road to great health!

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah she is loving the extra attention. Thank you.. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ditto:lol:

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks, I try to keep every one happy and healthy. Did't realize at first that she was in need of that much attention, but at least it is done now and I can follow up with every thing to make sure nothing gets worse. I couldn't have done it without all of the posts that are here that have such great information.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    BTW, if she had lice? It's likely they all do. As well as the coop, etc. [​IMG]

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Yeah I know. Here comes the Ortho or whatever it's called, you know what I mean. Should I hose out the Coop before I put the other stuff in?

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Well I let snowy out of the cat carrier and put her in one of my 2 "sick" pens which is alot bigger. I want to keep an eye on her foot, need to make sure it heals right.. I am going to worm her in a couple of weeks. so then she will have had the full blown work-up to health.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Mollie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by