1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen just laid her first egg.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thankfull, Feb 6, 2014.

1. thankfull

thankfull New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    I am new here to this forum, so hello to all. This is my first chicken a hen. She found me from someone's backyard, I have no idea from where. Since our neighborhood is not zoned? I have had her for about 2 months now, and we've fallen in love with each other.I know that sounds kooky (sp)... She is letting me hold her, will eat out of my hand, and follows me. This is the craziest thing I've seen. Of course my husband and son are falling for her also. Just wanted to give you some background about Lucy and ourselves.
    I have no idea what kind of chicken she is, she looks like a R island red...
    Today this morning she layed her first egg!!! Perfect and big, but white in color? I thought perhaps she would lay a brown egg because of her color?
    Two questions: When will we be able to start eating the eggs, wait awhile?
    Second: She is picking and scratching a little, not pulling any feathers out! I'm wondering if she has mites or lice or is this a common thing chickens do? She's a mellow chicken, but definitely a fine happy chicken..
    I have be feeding her the best of feed that the chicken feed store has, I feed her grapes which she loves but not everyday and greens fresh.
    If anyone out there could help me in my new endeavor, to keep her healthy and happy. I'd love it!
    I am a novice as you can see, so any help with all of my questions especially about when it's safe to eat her eggs. And the bugs, which I have looked thoroughly through I may not be seeing what I should.
    THANK you so much for reading through all of my confusion!

Patricia.

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Glad to welcome you to the world of poultry! You are perfectly okay to eat the eggs, some may just taste salty at first. There are a few breeds that are brown, that lay white eggs, and vise verse. she's simply cleaning herself when she tucks her hand behind her wings and such, that's completely normal so long as she's not pulling any feathers out. Sounds like your doing a great job, just make sure she has fresh food and water available to her at all times. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the first egg! Finding those eggs never gets old, no matter how many you find in the future. Yes, start eating those eggs!! They are so tasty!

As for her scratching...take a look at her skin. Blow the feathers back or gently lay them backwards and look at her. If the skin is red and irritated, she might have mites. Look especially behind the neck and around the vent and tail. Usually you don't see the bugs on them, but you can sometimes see bug eggs around the vent on the feather shafts. Usually when they have mites, they have some feather loss or frayed feathers from over grooming them. And if you think she does have bugs, you can dust her with DE or Sevin. Even some permethrin spray will work well. Make sure to get down to the skin. Repeat dustings or spraying every other day for a week or so. You can also clean out the nest boxes and spray or dust in there as well. Also get under the roost bar really well as that is where the bugs lay their eggs and wait for the birds to roost at night so they can jump back on the birds.

Good luck with all your poultry adventures and enjoy BYC!

4. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] First eggs are very special. Congratulations. If you want a chicken education the Learning Center is a great place to start.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a nice little friend. Chickens spend a lot of time grooming. If her feathers appear healthy and she does not have bald spots or areas that look irritated, she is likely just being a chicken.

If you post a picture you may get some guesses on her breed - a good clear shot from the side and another of her head would work.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

9. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Fresh eggs are the best. Her eggs are fine to eat now. You can look for mites on her - look in the learning center tabs - so full of great info. She needs a coop & run. Maybe even getting a couple buddies for her. Best of luck.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by