My hen just passed away suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by branagh, Aug 9, 2009.

1. branagh

branagh In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Yesterday I celebrated the 2nd birthday of my ten leghorns. They have been such a joy to me.

This afternoon I looked out and one the hens was laying on the ground. I crawled on my hands and knees through the run and found she had just died, probably not a half hour earlier.

They all seemed healthy and happy today. I'm not sure what may have happened. It wasn't the hottest day of the summer and they had lots of water.

Is sudden death a common thing in healthy hens? This is the first death of my chickens.

I built a box and buried her in my flower garden next to my cat, Foster, who passed away a few years ago.

My animals are a large part of my life. I will miss her.

2. welovechickens

welovechickens Songster

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I'm sorry about the loss of your hen. [​IMG]

Has it been unusually hot where you live? Heat can kill chickens very easily if they don't have a way to keep cool.

3. so sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, these thing "just happen" with chickens.

A heart attack, an organ problem who knows.

I have picked up several Guineas and hens alike out in the pastures.

They just look like they died of old age.

At least they passed doing somethng they loved to do, chase bugs.

4. oklahorselover

oklahorselover In the Brooder

Jan 26, 2008
    Okla
    I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you lost her [​IMG] I understand. I had a 5ft chicken snake kill my favorite hen & her 3 baby's. I was devistated. Could a chicken snake killed her ? Just a guess. Anyway I'm really sorry.

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Leghorns, like so many, were bred to lay lots of eggs in their first years, not to live long lives. I would imagine something internal took her, maybe a heart attack, a problem with the egg laying system, liver, etc. Unfortunately, no, it isn't all that unusual.

I am sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: