My hen just roo'd--- Someone please help me here

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaimslee4u, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I have posted this things picture twice now and everyone keeps saying hen, but why is she crowing? Is it possible? She was fighting with my roo when I first got him. So I thought just dominance. They all sleep together now but there is still tension. She / He looks deffinatley under developed compared to my other roo that was hatched at the same time. It doesn't look like he / she is growing spurs. I am so freakn confused someone please enlighten me.

[​IMG]

Hatched if I remember correct first or second week of May.

If it is roo I will need to re-home. Anyone live in Maine and want a beautiful Black Orpington Rooster?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It does look like a roo to me, just very slow to develop. If it crows, its a roo. Hens can't crow properly.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sometimes you can have more than one roo grow up together, and the less dominant ones will develop more slowly. It's almost like a natural defense mechanism. Are you only allowed one rooster? I always keep a "spare" [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I can't see well enough to tell if there are any pointy hackle feathers coming in. It does have sort of the posture of a roo though.

It is possible for a hen to try to crow - not properly maybe - but sometimes they do try.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I remember this pic, and as I recall I said roo. I don't know why people would tell you it's a hen. It's very obviously a rooster.

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:I have had hens that have crowed, but that definitely is a roo and he's beautiful. Hope you find a good home for him.[​IMG]

8. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck......The crowing seals it! Nice bird!

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Wanna bet they can't crow properly? I have 3 hens here that crow on a regular basis and I can't tell their crow apart from my roosters.

ETA looks like a rooster to me tho

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:I had a white Leghorn bantam hen that lived for almost 13 years and started crowing whenhj she was four and did on and off for the rest of her life. She sounded like a young bantam roo. I was glad other saw her and heard her crow so they didn't think I was crazy and making it up. Her name??? CROWING HEN.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by