My hen keeps eating everything and anything!(mostly plastic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArtCaptain, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ArtCaptain

ArtCaptain Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I have an 8 month old turken/naked neck hen who likes to eat shipping peanuts, feathers, chipped paint, Styrofoam plates, crystallized plastic bottles, plaster among other things.[​IMG]

For those of you wondering how she finds all of this stuff my father owns a dental lab and likes to work in his garage.)

Is there any reason as to why she's eating this? (she finds it tasty perhaps lol) She's, along with this other hen sometimes, the only one who constantly finds stuff or purposely looks for it. Once I put a bunch of shipping peanuts in front of her and I had to hold her back because she was so desperate to get to them(no i did not let her go). By the way I feed my whole flock mixed feed.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Packing peanuts are often made of corn. What do you feed them, perhaps she has a deficiency. Chickens will peck at almost everything to taste stuff.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

Chickens will peck at everything out of curiosity. Mine will also try to eat styrofoam, packing peanuts, not so much plastic.

Keep litter picked up is the best thing, and check their diet. Pica (the eating of non-edible things) can be caused by mineral deficiency.

Be sure they are on good layer feed (not just scratch).

LofMc

4. Ballerina Bird

Ballerina Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Huh, I had no idea that there was a word for eating non-edible things. Fascinating!

5. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    Well, the food I'm feeding her has around 15%-17% protein. I also put some Durvet electrolytes in their water. Maybe she is just really curious? She could be but I have seen my other hens peck at things and not eat them.

6. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    Same here! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by