My Hen Killed my rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BuffOrpington1, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BuffOrpington1

BuffOrpington1 Just Hatched

Sep 2, 2016
    Yesterday was a horror for me to witness my Hen attacked my rooster and my rooster died this morning. My hen was sitting on her eggs ( Fertilized). My rooster walked into her coop and before I knew what happened she attacked him she pecked his neck and he was knocked out. He crowed and tried leaving before she struck again and got his neck AGAIN I was terrified he was bleeding rapidly and my coop cameras caught the act! He looked faint and collapsed he died.

UPDATE: The eggs have hatched and my Light Brahma was the best mother out of all of them even though she killed my aggressive Welsummer rooster yet she doesn't touch the Light Brahma Roosters and BO roosters [​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Wow! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! As Cynthia12 stated. "Wow!" I've never heard of an attack like that - at least not resulting in death! A mother's love, eh? Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  4. BuffOrpington1

Sep 2, 2016
    Should I be worried?! She is great with the others but she never liked this Welsummer it kept trying to breed with her and I know she didn't like it! Oddly enough she 3rd in the pecking order overtaking my BO rooster she is the highest momma!

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Wow. That is one fierce broody! She knew what rooster was a threat to her babes.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    well sounds gnarly, but also like everything sorted itself out for the best? i guess that dim rooster couldnt take a hint...

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That's a heck of a hen.

8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry this happened to you....... [​IMG] I wouldn't be surprised if our hens murdered one of the roos in our flock. I can't tell you how many times part of a wattle has been ripped off, leaving him to bleed all over me when I scoop him up. [​IMG]

~Alex

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So many hens are overbred and abused that I don't blame her. Yes, she was protecting her eggs BUT, it gave her the courage to attack him. Probably something she has wanted to do for a long time. He probably thought she was fair game because she couldn't run off and hide from him because of brooding eggs.

10. BuffOrpington1

Sep 2, 2016
    I don't know why? Because she is amazing with the BO rooster, hens and the Light Brahma roosters and hens they are all good friends. She has never been excepting of the Welsummers because the Welsummer rooster attacked me countless times and the welsummer hens would run away. My LB liked when I picked it up so did my BO all of the roosters ( Except Welsummer) would sit in my lap. They are all one year old, But my hen will do anything to protect her egg they are beautiful babies Thank goodness I had people sex the chickens they are all pullets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by