1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Hen laid a regular egg and a soft shelled egg in one day. Is something wrong with her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jujubeans2008, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    So, about a month ago- one of my hen's was eggbound. My husband and I took all of the neccesary steps, and we "saved" her, and she passed a soft-shelled egg that night.

Last night, I went to the coop to collect the eggs and saw she had laid an egg. I always count my chickens before I lock them up inside completely, and last night I was missing one. She was laying in the bushes by herself, so I brought her inside. She was acting like she was eggbound, but she had already laid for the day. However, I took all of the neccesary steps once again, and gave her some anti-biotics, poly-vi-sol, vitamin d, and calcium. I woke up this morning, and she passed a soft shelled egg. Is this normal? Does this happen sometimes? Or is there something "wrong" with her egg production? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? They are on layer pellets, and have access to oyster shell. They also free-range during the day.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally, i would not worry too much about the odd soft-shelled egg now and again.

CT

3. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I think what has me worried is that it was two in one day. She's my only hen that has had any problems with soft shelled, or double egg laying.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There is a chance, however slight, that this could indicate future egg laying issues with this hen. It's happened to me twice having a hen lay two eggs in quick succession, and later both of my hens died from egg laying problems.

What I would advise is to keep a close eye on your hen. Be ready to step in if it appears she's having trouble passing an egg. I use a heating pad under the nest material in the laying box to relax the hen and make it easier to lay the egg. Or you can do a warm water soak, but it's much messier.

Also, be watchful for any infection taking hold, and be ready to begin a round of antibiotic treatment. Notice any sign of illness such as isolation, lethargy, and tail held down and flat, and scant, watery poop. It could be a sign of egg peritonitis due to internal laying.

I've learned over the years that with some layers, egg laying can be a dangerous business.

5. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    That's what my fear is.

I didn't know that they could get infections from egg laying. What signs would those be? And what kind of antibiotics should I stalk up on? I have some for coocidis (I'm not sure how to spell it), but I don't have any other antibiotics. I'd like to add something else to my chicken first-aid kit though.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

To be honest she is normal. Some hens reproduction organs act like that...Nothing is going to change her egg production. All your doing is filling her up on antibiotics for no reason...
    I have had hens that only lay soft shelled eggs, Rooster eggs, one egg a week. They are no longer here.
    Before chickens were thought of as pets they were livestock first and the ones not producing eggs were supper.
    I give my hens a grace period to get egg laying in order or they are culled and replaced the next spring.
    I enjoy my hens a lot but they are here for eggs not as pets.

7. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I gave her antibitoics for coccida (don't know how to spell it) because my young chicks had it, and her stool was runny and had a red tint to it. Now I know that might just be because she had to lay another egg.

Your chickens may only be there for egg production, but I do treat mine as pets. They are my pets, and if I can do something to prevent her from going through the distress of laying multiple eggs or soft shell eggs then I want to do it. However if there's not, then that's okay too. I just wanted to know if there is anything that I can do to help her.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The drugs all go into the eggs you eat though...Unless you are throwing them out??

9. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    They are being thrown out. I'm not going to not give her medicine just because I want to eat her eggs. Plus, I doubt it is healthy to eat eggs that are coming from sick chickens.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    How old is she, and what breed? Some breeds tend to be prone to egglaying issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by