My hen laid her eggs out in the long grass.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by penelopebianchi, Jul 22, 2011.

1. penelopebianchi

penelopebianchi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    She has been sitting for around 10 days. She is very camouflaged ; but I am worried. If I move her at night into the coop; will she abandon her eggs? I don't know what to do![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Unless the potential chicks are worth more than her life, I'd move her. If a predator eats her there won't be anyone sitting on the eggs. Do you have an incubator you could get ready before you move her?

3. penelopebianchi

Jun 3, 2010
    I don't have a incubator; but I am hoping if I move her tonight in the dark and put her in a smaller coop inside the big predator-proof coop on her eggs she will stay on them.

thank you!!

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You're welcome. I would think if she's dedicated to sit on them for 10 straight days outside, she probably won't abandon the nest once it's in the coop. But then, I've never had a broody or incubated eggs...

5. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    is there a way you can put a lil Coop or portable dog crate over her?.. then when she gose to eat.. somehow slip the nest inside it... and let her nest again in there.. then when she's asleep shut the door quickly and move the entire box to the coop n leave it open inside.. with the door open till they hatch?

that is what I'd do.. is somehow slip a pan or sumthing under the nest with a crate over it.. and then somehow move her and the entire nest in one shot.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You never know. If you move her she may still sit on her eggs and she may not. I assume you have a roo so the eggs are most likely fertile. She is definitely at risk of being killed by a predator out in the tall grass. Do you know anyone who let you borrow their incubator?

7. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

there is a pretty good chance if you move her in the dark and keep the new location dark, when you put her back on the eggs in the new location, she will prob stay on them. try to make the enclosure inside the safe coop small as possible leaving only enough room for the nest and food and water. That will help her to stay put.

8. penelopebianchi

Jun 3, 2010
    Hi! well, I didn't get the message about the small crate. She was in a pretty small one. It was dark; and she was on them when I went to bed. In the morning she was trying to get out.....she went right for the nest and was squawking like a banshee. So I put them back. I don't know how long she was off them; I candled three of them yesterday; and they look like they are almost ready to hatch.......she is so camouflaged I am hoping for the best! I read on your site that sometimes they can be off their eggs for awhile and they will still hatch.

Keeping my fingers crossed! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by