My Hen laid her first egg today will it be fertilized? We got rid of

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beckychick, Sep 2, 2009.

1. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    our rooster Friday morning. We're just wondering?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's possible. I've heard folks on here say that they have had first eggs be fertile, but I've never seen this in my experience, even when I've seen the cockerel breeding them long before they began to lay.

Check this thread for pics of fertile versus infertile eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

It's never a good idea to hatch pullet eggs; however, if you wanted chicks, I'd check this first egg and then begin collecting, because pullets/hens can store semen for up to 3 weeks after being bred once.

3. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    Can't say, but Definitely possible. If your rooster was old enough to do his thing when you got rid of him, chances are pretty good that they could be fertile for a while. Hens can lay fertile eggs for several weeks afterwards. Assuming these eggs are for eating, there are some good pics on google that will tell you what to look for when you crack them open. Takes a really good eye to see it sometimes.

Mark

4. beckychick

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    thanks, we kept the rooster as long as we could but couldn't stand him any longer and here she goes and lays an egg!! She laid it on the window sill so it's already cracked.

5. beckychick

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    forgot to add, we were hoping for some baby chicks.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If it's already cracked, it'll be easy to find the fertilized blasto, if it IS, in fact, fertilized. You may have to gently turn the yolk over a few times to find it, but once you see it, it's very obvious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by