My hen laid three eggs in one day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by R.M.Qureshi, Oct 15, 2011.

1. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Dear Members,

I have two hens and two cockerels of heavy cochin breed. Hens have just started laying eggs five days ago. Yesterday one of my hen laid one egg and went back to its normal chicken routine. Later that afternoon i observed that she is again in the nest and within few minutes she laid another egg. This second egg had a very thin shell but was intact. After an hour there was another egg in the nest by the same hen.This third egg had no shell only a membrane.

Today she is very slow , drowsy and spent the whole day sitting. I have checked her belly and i do not feel any egg. Her comb is Pink, no signs of any discharge from the vent.

Please be so kind to let me know what to do. I am trying to contact poultyr vet but no success so far. I am very worried about her condition. Please help

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it takes hens a bit of time to get the whole system worked out. Unless it continues for a long time I wouldn't worry about it.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Are you sure she laid three eggs and it wasn't one of the other ones who liad it and she just sat on it? Dunno about htree eggs in a 24 hour period, sounds odd

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My new layer did that a few weeks ago. She laid, came outside then started another egg song and dropped two soft shelled eggs at once like a big poop. She then went to the far side of the pen and wanted nothing to do with them unlike her usual fuss over a fresh egg. She turns them as if she was setting and flipping them before she gos out.

5. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Quote:I had one do that too! Three days ago - laid a normal egg late in the day for her then at 1:00am I observed her ( with my chicken cam ) lay two more outside in the run. Both were soft-shelled. Next day I was an egg short (3/4). And today all is normal again. Only strange occurances were a thunder/lightning storm and the weather is getting colder here in Ontario.

6. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Dear friends,

I took my hen to a poultry vet, he said that she needs to be kept under observation for one day so he admited the hen. Sunday evening i received a call from him. He said that she psaaes away last night. I am totally heart broken left only with memories.

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had experience to share with you - I can only share your sadness at losing your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by