1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Hen lays Bloody Eggs All The Time!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lilywater101, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hey Everyone! I'm new to this website and i really need help , please help me my hen has been laying eggs but the shell is smeared with a little blood. I heard this is normal if they do it once in a while but everytime my hen lays a egg it comes out with a little bit of blood![​IMG]

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's just a "smear" of blood. I think that's pretty common. About how old is the hen?

3. Lilywater101

Jan 7, 2009
    Well to tell you the truth i don't know how old the hen is.[​IMG] I got her at a "flea market".

4. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, ok. [​IMG] Like I said, if it's just a little bit I wouldn't be too concerned. [​IMG]

5. Lilywater101

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks for the help![​IMG] Also i hope u won't mind that i'm asking u all these questions but do u know why my hen has her vent matted with feces???

6. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Now that's something I would be more concerned about, honestly. That's never a good thing. Has it been happening for a long time? And how long have you had her? There's several things that can cause diarrhea, I am just trying to narrow it down...

If you haven't had her for a long time, it could be that she was sick when you got her. You always want to quarantine any new chicken you get. Did you do that with her?

7. Lilywater101

Jan 7, 2009
    When I got the hen from the guy at the flea market her vent was fine. But a couple of days later when we got her her vent started getting "dirty". I don't know why it has not cleaned up, but the other hen that we got with her is fine. So i don't know what to do.[​IMG][​IMG] We have had her now for about three months approximately and it has not cleared up.

8. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    That's really weird... I am not quite sure what could cause that.. Sorry. [​IMG] Hopefully someone else will have some better advice.

9. Lilywater101

Jan 7, 2009
    Well Thanks anyways. Hopefully I can later find out what is wrong. I 'm thinking that later on I might be tempted to hose the hen down to "clean her up".[​IMG][​IMG]

10. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Post a new topic asking for advice on the poopy butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by