My hen looks drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyahays, Dec 10, 2013.

1. amyahays

amyahays New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    My black and white Sussex started acting funny this afternoon. She's standing but her beak is lowered to the ground and she bobbles slightly like she's drunk. It's as if she can't lift her head even though she seems to be trying. I found her like this in the run just before dusk and she managed to get herself in the coop with the others. We have since brought her in the house to quarantine. She doesn't seem to be eating, drinking, or pooping. Even at 8:00 at night, when she should be asleep, she is standing and has her beak to the ground. What is this??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would worry that she might have eaten something that has made her sick. Botulism or limberneck is a disease that chickens get when they eat rotting fish or carcasses of animals, maggots, vegetation that has spoiled, and even pond mud. The symptoms start weakness in the legs progressing upward to the wings, then to the eyelids and respiratory system. It may not be this, but here is some info on it :
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Another reason for her behavior could be possible Mareks Disease. This can resemble limberneck. Did she have a Mareks vaccination? For botulism, you can give an epsom salt or molasses flush to flush out the poison. Epsom salt flush is 1 tsp epsom salts in 4 oz water-give this to the chicken to drink twice a day for 2-3 days or until better. A molasses flush is 3 oz mollasses in 1 gallon of water for 8 hours (a smaller amt can be mixed.)

4. amyahays

amyahays New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. It's weird. She's much better today, can stand, move about freely, and most importantly can move her head freely and is eating! I took her to vet today and she's on anti inflammatory and pain meds. I let her run around with her friends today then brought her back in the house for the night. At this point I'm anticipating a full recovery. I thought we were going to lose her two nights ago.

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Good that you took her to the vet and some good suggestions on here. I'd not "let her run around with her friends today then brought her back in the house" until I quarantined for at least 3 days.

Best to you and her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by