My hen MIGHT be a roo?????

DragunzGirl

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 9, 2008
GA
Ok, I own 4 hens. They just turned 3 months old. We built a run and coop at my mema's house and have them there. Any way the neighbor has chickens also and two roosters. But they are not real close to my memas house they are in the other side of a barn on there property. Any way this morning my mema was out on her porch and said one of her's started crowing very loud. It did 4 crows but when she got to the coop it was quite. She thinks one of my girls is a roo. I told her it could be the neighbor's that they maybe of left that barn door open or maybe one of there roosters got out... Dont know tho. BUT she keeps saying it was one of mine.

I have 4 Hen's total over there, you can clearly see 3 of the 4 are for sure girl. Blue Bell and 3 others are a Cochin Cross, one if a Frizzle Turken.

any way here is a pic of her.. She showed no sign of being a roo when she was younger. But she is a biggg chicken and she did get a little red. Her comb is small tho, was tiny when she was younger few months ago and it just now pop up a little but not much at all.. Do you think this could be a Hen still or is my Blue Bell a boy :(... I would have to get rid if it is.... By the way she did change color on me lol she added some really nice brown feathers to her blue ones.

This is a pic from Dec 2013 when they were 2 months old. Blue bell is the one on the top left.

Last edited:
Blue Bell might be a rooster. I think I can see the development of saddle feathers on the lower back, which are characteristic of roosters. But if you wait a few weeks you will probably know the sex for sure.

I thought a rooster always had a comb and waddle? So your saying the feathers are showing to be a rooster? gerrrrr. No one around wants roosters.... He is sweet as can be also :(.. Its going to be so hard to find him a good home. Thanks..

she probably has restrictions where she lives. I live in Wake Forest, NC. I can have 10 hens but no roos
sad.png

she probably has restrictions where she lives. I live in Wake Forest, NC. I can have 10 hens but no roos
sad.png
She has a neighbor who has roosters. We just got the ball rolling to begin the process of changing our no chicken ordinance. We have 7 illegal chickens.

if your neighbor has them, why cant you? is it that you only want hens? not that there's anything wrong with that. im in a suburban neighborhood and had to cull 2 roos. didn't want to but if people complain then they can make me get rid of all of my flock. mine pretty much crowed all the time. tough choice. but if you aren't looking for chicks then you don't really need a rooster. well that's what I told myself. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom