My hen might be broody! please help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken_angler, Aug 13, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I know for sure she is sitting on at least 2 eggs. I dont know if they are fertile. I have 2 millie fluer roos and the hen is a little bit bigger than them. Will the eggs be fertile? If so, how do I get any more eggs under her so she can hatch some chickies? Anyone have some eggs they would sell to me? Thanks!

2. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Oh also when I touch her she sqwaks at me and it is really loud.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    If this is her first time to go broody, she may lose interest after a couple of days. I have a Buff Orp that went broody for a week and then decided that it was too boring to just sit in the nest so she gave it up.

Move her and her eggs into a nest in an isolated area with feed and water, and a small dust batheing area. Keep an eye on her. If she is truly broody, she will only leave the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink, poo and possibly dust bathe. The rest of the time she will stay on the nest.

Personally, I would not try to give her more eggs, especially if this is her first time to go broody.

You can candle the eggs to see how they are developing. We never candle, but you can do a search for candling and get lots of input.

4. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Thanks! Turns out she was just laying an egg. I went back outside and she was outsside running around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by