My hen might have respiratory infection...

Maple Hill Chickens

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2022
My blind chicken Jenna might have a respiratory infection. She sounds like she is out of breath and has a stuffy nose and she does a little of gasping for air. Jenna weezes when I pick her up but she is still active and is drinking and eating great. I gave her VetRx and chick probiotics in her water. Any ideas on what I can give her to help her. Thanks!

My blind chicken Jenna might have a respiratory infection. She sounds like she is out of breath and has a stuffy nose and she does a little of gasping for air. Jenna weezes when I pick her up but she is still active and is drinking and eating great. I gave her VetRx and chick probiotics in her water. Any ideas on what I can give her to help her. Thanks!
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of Jenna?

How old is she?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

She wheezes when you pick her up, do you notice any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Active, eating/drinking - when do you notice her symptoms the most - just when picking her up, first thing in the morning (how's the ventilation in your coop), when she's been eat/drinking like she's gotten food/water in her nostrils?

VetRx is a remedy, it is like Vapor Rub for chickens. It might help temporarily relieve some symptoms, but if she has respiratory infection then an antibiotic may be needed.

Here's detailed instructions on how to use VetRx
https://www.drugs.com/vet/vetrx-poultry-remedy.html

IMG-2709.jpg
IMG-2707.jpg

She is about 6ish years old. She is bloted / swollen very near the vent. Since she is blind she has a hard time know when she is about to reach the water... so she pretty much pecks the water as hard as she can! Yes water definitly gets in her nose but that is the way she drinks. Her feed is pellets not crumble so she doesn't get feed in her nose but i am sure some dust gets up there. Any ideas on brands for antibiotics. Thanks

She is about 6ish years old. She is bloted / swollen very near the vent. Since she is blind she has a hard time know when she is about to reach the water... so she pretty much pecks the water as hard as she can! Yes water definitly gets in her nose but that is the way she drinks. Her feed is pellets not crumble so she doesn't get feed in her nose but i am sure some dust gets up there. Any ideas on brands for antibiotics. Thanks
How long has she been blind?

Any lice or mites on her?

Her face looks a bit crusty and possibly swollen, hard to tell with the lighting of the photos.
Do you put any ointment or vaseline on her face or in her eyes?

Bloating or swelling of the abdomen below the vent between the legs can often indicate reproductive disorders and/or fluid in the abdomen. Sometimes this can cause some respiratory symptoms like difficulty breathing or gurgling. Putting pressure on the abdomen when being picked up can cause some wheezing.
Sometimes a crop will slow as well and symptoms are similar.

For respiratory illness like Mycoplasma, the most frequently used antibiotic to treat symptoms is Tylan/Tylosin.

For other issues, Amoxicillin is commonly used.

It really depends on the cause of her symptoms whether it's respiratory disease or an underlying reproductive problem. Antibiotics may help give some relief for a period of time.

she ahs been blind for about 5 years. I think her eyes have been swollen for a LONG time...
I have not put ointment on/around her eyes.

No lice No mites that i can't see
I will look for for thoses antibiotics!
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom