My hen needs a doula. Or a midwife. And I'm neither.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smudge, Jul 26, 2014.

1. smudge

smudge Songster

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    In late May I noticed one of my girls had laid this mess during the night:
    [​IMG]

I caught her in the act the next day - squirting raw half scrambled eggs, and when I had time to focus on just her later that morning, she had the empty rubber shell stuck to her butt. She seemed to do better after a sitz bath. Bit of TLC over the next month, and last week she was finally laying eggs on her own. Long pointy eggs (that's her hallmark) 3 days in a row. And then... the fun started again Tuesday.

This evening she spent 3 unproductive hours panting in the nesting box. Other than sitz baths and EVOO on her butt, I have no clue what to do.

Yes, I have them on commercial layer feed. No, there were no changes in brands of feed before this started. Yes, I try to make sure that they have access to calcium - either oyster shells or crushed egg shells at all times. No, I don't think I give an excessive amount of treats - I kind of think letting them free range in the yard a few hours a day should be enough of a treat. I was giving them dandelions, but gave up after this started. Could there be some plant this silly girl is eating that is doing this to her? (We've a lot of plants growing wild that are on the toxic list, but they have much more available that's not toxic.)

I've 6 girls - all Buff Orpingtons, all turned 1 in April. This is the only one that seems to be having this problem. They laid well as pullets, but ever since they've become hens and there's been more green worth eating, their egg laying has gone WAY off. The girl having the problems was flock leader, so I don't know if her erratic behavior has affected the others, based on their confusion about where they stand.

Any egg whispering chicken doulas out there?

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Very curious since I have one doing the same thing. Mine is an EE that has never layed a nice egg.
    I am feeding Ranch-a-way layer pellets 16%.
    For me this is one hen in 19 layers doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: