My Hen picked the perfect day to be BROODY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I went in there to collect egg there were two so I grabbed them one was misformed so I cracked it open and let the chickens eat it then my BO ran into the Hen house, I thought she was going to lay and egg so I waited and waited...no egg. So after that I kinda of figured she might be going broody so I took the egg I collected earlier and rolled it infront of her....she plopped it right under her....then I tryed to touch her with my light thing and she screamed and pecked at it...I cant believe it my little pumpkins wants to be a mommy! and the pest part is my fertile button quail eggs come today!!!, im planning to let her sit on them.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Cool beans! [​IMG]

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    great--just be careful, when they are ready to hatch you may want to move them. She is big enough where she could potentially hurt them.

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I want to move her into a dog cage becuase its to cold and all my hens keep bothering her but..I dont want to break her broodiness how could I do this?

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I can't help you there, I've never had much luck moving them while they're still sitting on eggs. But maybe since yours just went broody, she'll settle back down. I found mine under some brush a week or so after she'd been sitting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by