My hen ran away

DeltaAero

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
I only have two hens, and today our backyard was being worked on by people and I wasn’t informed in advance. My other hen is broody and, luckily, refused to get off her nest to care, but the hen that ran away is nowhere near my backyard. I would notice she was near because she’s loud and comes straight to me when I call her name. I do have a free-range backyard and they could possibly jump over the fence at any time. I have looked everywhere and I can only look so much before I cry my heart out and say she’s dead . Have any advice for me? Also, she doesn’t respond to shaking food and she runs everywhere she goes. I’m very worried about her since I love her so much :(

My neighbors chickens roam the entire neighborhood, but always go home at night to roost. Hopefully yours will too.
I’m just worried that she could get attacked or shot, this neighborhood isn’t the safest. I also don’t know if she’s gone this far before, is it possible for chickens to get easily lost or do they have some sort of instinct to find their way home?

I’m just worried that she could get attacked or shot, this neighborhood isn’t the safest. I also don’t know if she’s gone this far before, is it possible for chickens to get easily lost or do they have some sort of instinct to find their way home?

I think they instinctively know where home is. My rooster got out, my dog chased him into the woods (he'd never been outside the coop/run) and he came back later in the evening. Try not to worry. She was probably spooked and is hiding out until she feels it's safe to return.

I think they instinctively know where home is. My rooster got out, my dog chased him into the woods (he'd never been outside the coop/run) and he came back later in the evening. Try not to worry. She was probably spooked and is hiding out until she feels it's safe to return.
Thank you, I have high hope now

Back
Top Bottom