1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen ran away!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkypie, Sep 17, 2009.

1. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    I just got some chickens from my neighbor a few weeks ago because he is not longer capable of buying feed for them. I got 2 RIRs and a Buff Orp.

My Buff Orp who is named Buffy (not very creative, I know) ran over to my neighbors house and ran back into her old coup. [​IMG]

Her 2 RIR friends are still here. My DH thinks she will come back when she's hungry. Out of the 3 chicks I got, she is my favorite by far.

I hope she comes back. [​IMG]

Edit: She came back. She is one sneaky chicken. She ran out from under the fence (no other chicken does it) she came back and I boarded up that side of the fence and she found another way to escape. I have a David Copperfield like chicken, always disappearing. She came back and laid an egg in the coup we built for the chickens. She seemed to enjoy it in there.

I am definitely keeping her locked up until further notice.

Thanks for the support!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I hope she comes back too. She's confused about where her real home is now...

3. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    You might have to go get her and keep her in the coop for a few days until she figures out thats home now....

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she's an older bird, as in laying adult, might take a week or two to teach her where her new home is. Till then, don't let them out of their run as their nature will tell them to go "home" until they are re wired to their "new home".

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Well-next time she decides she wants to run away; I hope she packs a suit case. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by