My "Hen-rietta" was crowing this AM!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HillBillyFiveO, Dec 1, 2014.

1. HillBillyFiveO

HillBillyFiveO Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2014
    Well, being new to the chicken game, and having horrible luck gambling, we went off of an old wives tale and named this bird Henrietta (believing she was a girl). So, this AM we got up and heard one of the two birds getting their crow practice in. Well, we snuck in to find Henrietta making the noise. So, my question is........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....is Henrietta and rooster (male)? And if she's a he, then is he (Rooster Cogburn) a she???

Rooster......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will try to get a better frontal pic of Rooster. Thanks.

Floyd T.

PS: They are blue laced red wyandotte's.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I believe you need to switch their names! Henrietta is the rooster and Cogburn appears to be a pullet!

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Henrietta is a cockerel and Cogburn is a pullet.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed.

5. HillBillyFiveO

Nov 18, 2014
    Ahhhhhh, yup, just as I expected. ;^) Well, we have a Rhode Island red we named Olaf (missed that one too), had a "Floyd Jr" that turned out to be a hen (before the neighbor dog got her) :^( and lastly a B&G Macaw we misnamed off of bad sexing by the breeder!

So, sticking with our history, the names wills stay and become an interesting story when people come over. I'm sure Olaf would be disgruntled if we changed their names and not his!!

Thanks very much for your assistance. We got a good laugh.

Floyd T.

6. HillBillyFiveO

Nov 18, 2014
    Here is a pic of them as chicks. Is there a way to identify (with some certainty) them at this point? Or is it way to early? Just curious. Thanks for the responses to this point. Michelle and I appreciate the insight! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floyd T.

7. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Nope the only way to tell at that age is by vent sexing, which is very difficult to do and takes years of training to be successful at that.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but Henrietta is definitely a cockerel.

9. HillBillyFiveO

Nov 18, 2014
    Yea, that's what I had heard. We have no desire to vent sex them, they don't need that. The wives tale we were told was if the hairs just above their beak is sticking straight up, they will be roosters! Clearly, not in this case. [​IMG] Everything worked out. We truly wanted a rooster and one or two more chickens to complete our flock (for now), and that is what we got. All's good in Durham, MO!

Thanks again!

Floyd T.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by