My hen Scout found dead.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dapplepony, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Dapplepony

Dapplepony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    My sister (ChickenRadio) and I just went outside to do our horse chores. Walked up to the table and saw dear little Scout lying on the ground, five feet away, dead. She was still warm, like she had just died. She was laying flat out on her side, but her beak almost touched her throat just above her crop. A milky white substance was dripping slowly from her beak and nostrils. No signs of injury or hen-pecking, just laying on the ground, dead. The liquid worries me. I don't know what happened to her. She was fine when I checked on the hens two hours before we found her. I can't stop crying. My poor sister is so upset. Scoutie was her baby, and mine too.

2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Probably something respiritory.Keep an eye on the other hens.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The liquid is actually fairly normal when a hen dies. They tend to drip fluid from the mouth, has nothing to do with respiratory illness.

5. Dapplepony

Jul 19, 2010
    Thank you all. Speckled hen, thank you for setting that straight. I was slightly freaking out.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've lost many hens from internal laying. When I pick them up, most all of them drip fluid from the mouth. Sorry about Scout. I used to have a handsome rooster named Scout.

7. Dapplepony

Jul 19, 2010
    I'll post a picture of her.

8. Dapplepony

Jul 19, 2010
    Sorry, I can'r find any recent pics. [​IMG] I should have gotten out the camera. [​IMG]

But the thing is, I don't know how she died. It worries me. I'm scared that something inside her went wrong.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Can you tell me what internal laying is? Please.[​IMG]

10. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by