1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My hen seems to be in pain...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychookschick, May 12, 2010.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Songster

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    She looks like it is hard or painful to walk... When I squeezed her abdomen to check for hints her vent opened and it souded like she was letting out air-lots of it and then her abdomen looked concave. She appears bigger than normal and she hangs her wings down by her side. I don't know whats wrong... About a month ago I had a hen with almost the same symtoms but I didn't notice all that about her abdomen but she ended up dying a few days after I noticed anything was wrong so please any and all responses will be appreciated greatly!

Thanks so much,
    Luvmygoldencomets

2. mychookschick

mychookschick Songster

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    OH NO!! I just read the post that is right above mine and what they are talking about sounds a lot like what I am seeing in this hen and the last one plus the abdomen part, minus the bloody poop! Should I seperate her? Should I not be worried for now, based on the facts I am giving you?

Please help! I'v lost enough chickens this year!

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    does it act like its trying to throw up or have bad breath?

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    How old is she? Unfortunatley, golden comets are a production breed - bred for very high production. Along with that, they have a higher incidence, due to the higher production, of egg laying issues such as internal laying. I'm guessing that is what might be happening with your girl. Try to search - search for "internal layer" and you'll find lots of posts on it that might help you identify what's going on. I wish you the best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: