My hen sounds like she's got a cold?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyandotte Momma, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Wyandotte Momma

Wyandotte Momma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    My hen has suddenly developed symptoms as if she's got a cold. When she breathes it's not a smooth breath if that makes any since and she shakes her head i don't know maybe she's sneezing and then sometimes she'll open her mouth when she takes a breath and she also closes her eyes. Please help! I already lost one to a hawk I don't want to loose anther one! I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    You are not doing anything wrong, especially when you are asking for help... first, chickens don't get colds like we do, but they are susceptible to respiratory illnesses... I am not sure what you need to get her to help, so am hoping someone else will chime in... does her poops look normal? Any other symptoms? Is she eating and drinking normally? Is there anything in the coop causing excess dust? Knowing these would help more too... hope she gets better and so sorry for your loss...

3. Wyandotte Momma

Jan 8, 2015
    Thank you :) and yes she is eating well and drinking well. As far as I can tell her poops are normal!

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
  5. Wyandotte Momma

Jan 8, 2015
    Thank you both for your help. My girl died today :( so now my poor rooster is all alone I guess I will wait to get some chcks from the farm store in the spring. Again thanks for trying to help me! I'm going to try so hard to keep my poor boy alive!

6. irischick

irischick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    I am so sorry to hear this!!! One of my barred rocks started coughing. At least it sounded like a cough. Her eyes are clear but her mouth is staying open. I watched her for about 5 minutes. Her poops are normal I noticed on her poop deck. However, I work all day and don't know about her eating or drinking. There is not a lot of dust in her coop but it is very cold here in NY.
    Help.
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by