My hen started crowing! Is she a rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lissalischicks, Jun 29, 2016.

1. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    I am concerned my chicken is a rooster. Today she attempted to crow. Multiple ppl, including the vet, has stated she is a female but I am having my doubts. She is a blue orpington. This is her at 12 weeks [​IMG]
    This is her today at 17 weeks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know females can crow too but I am confused about her

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

females do indeed sometimes crow if there isn't a rooster. she does have a big comb for a hen her age but her tail isn't very rooish

3. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    [​IMG]
    This is a better picture of her tail and she is 15 weeks. I might be over reacting .... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

that tail is just making it hard to tell, it's starting to curl over, but just wait and see

5. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    Wow this is a hard one! The pic of her at 12 weeks looks definitely like a pullet, but now she is looking more rooster like. I've had hens that make croaky noises like they were attempting to crow but its sounded completely different to an actual rooster. Keep us updated :)

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The bottom two pictures show a decidedly male bird. That patchy, uneven blue shading is a dead give away. And male feathering is coming in. Orpingtons can be slow to mature. Your's is a cockerel, for sure.

7. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    Ok another question. When will I know for sure......

8. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    You should be able to tell soon, if you see/hear more crowing. The tail feathers and the comb are looking very rooster like, they will be growing at a faster rate now if it is a rooster. It may have been a late bloomer.

9. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    Well after a week being in denial and weeks of ignoring my gut feeling I have to admit defeat and say my girl us really a rooster. He is trying to crow more only in the mornings but he is scared of the older hens and is still on the bottom of the food chain. At least right now he is still sweet, curious, nice and purrs when you hold him.
    [​IMG]trying to intimidate the other hen but lost

[​IMG] trying to scare off the dog but my dog didn't care about him

10. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yeah, that's a adolescent rooster, showing off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by