My hen stopped laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eveandmisspepper, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Eveandmisspepper

Eveandmisspepper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm wondering why my hen stopped laying eggs? We just moved to a new home but we've been in our new house since Aug. 1st! Thats 3 months for my hen to get comfortable with her new home? Maybe it's because she is over 1 years old? I've even tried "egg laying feed" and have no results! Do hens just stop laying eggs when they get older?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:A hen that's over a year old will have periods where she takes a break from laying, especially in the fall or winter when the days are the shortest. They don't officially slow down until after they are three years old, then they lay whenever they happen to feel like it.

3. Eveandmisspepper

Eveandmisspepper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:A hen that's over a year old will have periods where she takes a break from laying, especially in the fall or winter when the days are the shortest. They don't officially slow down until after they are three years old, then they lay whenever they happen to feel like it.

Thanks! So I guess I just need to be patient. I also forgot to mention that we did get a new puppy that shares the back yard with my hen. Maybe the new puppy has something to do with my hen not laying eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by