My hen stunk... I need some help... UPDATE post #10

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by <3ChickenForever, Jun 28, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Angel (the hen) was missing for a week and she came back, eveytime i went by her she'd cluck, raise her feathers up, and run away. But I caught her.. I realized that she stunk.. like REALLY BAD so i gave her a bath with soap. I could still smell the stench but just a little bit. Is it normal for a chicken to have stench?... (it smelled like nasty dog) Could she have a diease or illness?? She was fine when I locked her up in the coop.. eating.. drinking.. juping up on the roost. Any advice?? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Did she get sprayed by a skunk maybe???[​IMG]

3. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Nope, she doesn't smell like a skunk... My main question is if she could have a diease or if it's just she hasn't dust bathed in a while?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'd check her over for infection. Make sure you smell her breath too for a possible crop/lung infection.

If she checks out fine, and the smell doesn't return, I'd say she found herself someone's compost heap while she was out, and dug through that for treats.

5. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Ok I will try doing that tomorrow, thank you [​IMG]

6. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I am glad for you she came back! I bet you were so worried.

7. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Oh yes and thanks. But i'm even more worried about my polish.. she too ran off [​IMG]

8. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I have never noticed a bad odor unless something was infected or worng I would check her again tomorrow and see if she still has an odor!!!

9. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Ok! Thanks so much for all the help everyone!! [​IMG]

10. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    UPDATE: Angel... found her hiding spot and why she stunk. She was hiding in a little hut thats high... Hard to explain... i will try getting a pic tomorrow. Anyways there were cracked eggs mayb 5 and when there still is yolk left and it gets old, it smells really bad and thats why my hen stunk. Glad I found a solution. I think she has gone broody and might hatch an egg or two but it might be a fail hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by