My Hen thinks she is a Rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddock36, Mar 27, 2009.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I was working outside and turned around to see one of my RIR hens going through the motions of a rooster with another hen. My husband told me he saw this before. They both lay eggs so I know it's a hen. Anyone else have this happen.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sometimes that's how they show dominance when there is no rooster present, I've seen it many times.

3. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a rooster...and a hen that is like that!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have a RIR hen who is about 3 years old and lays every day. But when my EE roo John Henry is around, she wants to take him on like another roo! She is now living with the bantam Cochins and the G. Sebright roo, because she will not leave the big roo alone. She is just very agressive with John Henry.

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The hen I'm talking about demonstrated the entire breeding performance just like a Roo and the other hen acted like she was receptive. It wasn't the typical rooster fight.

6. chickbliss7

chickbliss7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    I have a 10 month old Barred Rock hen that doesn't lay eggs. She is larger than my other 6 hens, is the dominant one and sometimes mounts my pretty little BO. However, she doesn't crow, have spurs or a big tail. She really looks like a hen, a BIG hen. I called the feed store today and talked to a "chicken man," who told me she could have been born without an oviduct and has taken on more male traits than female. He called it a "morphodite," but I think the correct term is hermaphrodite. Has anyone experienced this before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by