My hen thinks she's a roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Goose and Fig, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    One of my buff orps "crows" every morning. She makes more noise than the roosters. Is this an orp thing- or is she just strange?

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have heard of a lot of hens doing that
    this one persons hen (on BYC) crows everyday after she lays an egg!

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh she yaps like crazy after she lays an egg- but in the morning she actually comes outside, goes to the highest roost, and moans for over an hour. I'll have to get a video of her.

4. tulie13

tulie13 Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    That is WILD - my husband said he saw one of our BO's crowing yesterday. I KNOW she is a SHE, not a HE. She's older than my roos that I can surely identify as roos, she does not have the pointy neck feathers, or the saddle feathers, etc. I'm 100% sure she is a girl.

But she crowed yesterday. [​IMG] Maybe she's trying to put my unruly roos in their place? There are 8 and they are starting to pick on the girls. I only have 23 hens right now - at least 7 of these guys are getting on the bus to Freezer Camp next week... [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    She is older than my roos as well. I have a speckled sussex in with them, and he only crows every other day. It's like she's taken charge of the coop since I sold the RIR roo. [​IMG]

Everyone always recommends orps as a good quiet chicken. Mine are anything but quiet! I have a dozen breeds, and they are the noisiest of all. Gotta love em though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: