My Hen thinks she's a Turkey

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cowdogcadillac, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    This BR Hen goes everywhere with the Turkeys. She roosts with them at night,dust bathes with them and will not hang with the dozen other chickens in the pen. Does anyone else have a bird who thinks it's something else? I think it's weird,,but maybe it's not

[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Well I have one but she was hatched with the turkeys. She only hangs out with the turkeys that she was hatched with.

Cute pic !

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    My cochin thinks she's a house parrot. Belongs nowhere except on your shoulder and when free ranging will wait until a dog is let inside and runs under the dog to get it [​IMG]

4. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I have a hen that thinks she's human. She is positive, absolutely POSITIVE that I gave birth to her. She was the only chick to survive in my first attempt at hatching last summer, and she was raised by herself. We did try to keep her as an inside chicken because every time we brought her near a chicken, she would freak out. But inside the house, she was a monster. She refused to waer her diaper, and she refused to stay in her cage at night, she would ONLY sleep in my bed, right next to me. She didn't want chicken food, she only wanted what we were eating, and only when it was right on our plates. She drank what we drank, and keeping our cups from her was NOT easy. She REALLY likes iced tea. [​IMG] After a couple months of that, we were tired of it, so we sent her outside. We tried to put her in with the standards, but they didn't like her and tried to kill her, so we moved her to the bantam coop. She pouted, was depressed for awhile, but she finally adjusted. She is still very attached to us, especially my kids. She thinks they're her hatchmates, lol. If we lean down and call her with our arms outstretched, she runs right to us, and, heaven forbid, we DARE to touch one of the teenagers or chicks when she's right there, she will tear after that baby and beat it up. She has a jealousy streak a mile wide!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I have just the opposite: I have a Blue Slate turkey who thinks she's a hen. She was hatched at Cackle Hatchery the same day as some chicken chicks, and a friend of mine brought her home with her chick order. As they grew together the turkey & her "hatchmates" got along great, but the turkey saw the original flock of 5 bantam frizzles as a threat. She got to the point where she terrorized the frizzles and would keep them huddled all together into one nest box, where she'd stand at the opening and peck the closest one to the front. Although it broke her heart, First Mama sent Honey to live with me. Changing the flock dynamics helped tremendously. Being the "new kid" broke Honey out of the "defense" mode and now she gets along with the entire mixed flock of OEGBs, Silkies, BRs, BOs, EEs, Frizzles, 1 black bantam cochin roo, RIRs, AustralOrps, a pair of guineas, and a pair of white Pekin ducks. She comes loping across the yard for me to love on her, with that silly, dorky looking trot, all the while doing her "yelp yelp" [​IMG] I love it! She even helped one of the Silkies hatch a couple of babies, and stayed down on the floor with her instead of roosting in her usual high spot. [​IMG]

ETA a couple I left out [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  6. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I have 12 pullets... 3 RIR, 3 BR, 3 wynedottes, and 3 americaunas.

When I go to their cage/pen at night and get things ready for bed, each night someone else hangs around my feet so I have to pick them up. Then they will cry if I put them down, so I've had a few chickens sleeping with me lately. they don't sleep in my room, but in the bathroom on a towel or on the counter (RIRs). Then in the morning when I go to get them they cluck happily and hop on my shoulder or I carry them back out to the coop.

Incidentally, and not to hijack the thread, one of my BR's name is going to be pilgrim... It just seems appropriate somehow.
    She will look all around from her perch on my hand or shoulder. When she's satisfied that she's seen an unsuspecting victim she'll jump and try to land on the other hen. Just after jumping she'll cackle a mad cackle as if to say "Look out below!"

She rarely misses

7. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    A chicken hen I was given lived alone for a long time and made friends with our guinea hen when she started hanging out at our house. Now she gets depressed if I put her in with the other chickens. She literally just lays down and won't move.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have a turkey hen that thinks she's a badger. Neither the Kinder Major or the wife will approach her nest without a stick in their hand to lever her out with so they can get at the eggs. She's a fierce customer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by