my hen threw up, is she ok???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fowlfriend98, Oct 29, 2013.

1. fowlfriend98

fowlfriend98 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    my barred rock hen threw up water this morning, is she ok? she's only around 5 months old or so. she has been eating and drinking.

2. HomeSnail

HomeSnail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    North NJ
    Check her crop. It might be impacted crop, if liquids are coming back up. Feel the crop for hardness. And check if she is acting lethargic, weak, or is losing body mass.

Hope this helps.
    -Malik

3. fowlfriend98

Oct 22, 2013
    Where is the crop? She is kinda acting a little lethargic. What does it mean if the crop is impacted?

4. HomeSnail

Oct 24, 2013
    North NJ
    The crop is in the front below the neck. It is the first stop for anything that is eaten or drank. Impacted crop means that it is a blockage inside the crop which does not allow food to pass to the gizzard.

If it is hard, you can research impacted crop.
    I have had impacted crop and cured it with olive oil and gentle messaging of the crop to move the food. Repeat until it works or there are many other methods to resolution. Surgery which I had done was a last stand procedure for life or death situations.

5. fowlfriend98

Oct 22, 2013
    If the chicken doesn't poop, is that also a sign of impacted crop? She has been Eating but I'm not sure if she is pooping

6. HomeSnail

Oct 24, 2013
    North NJ
    If she is only pooping liquids or nothing then there is a problem. If she is pooping regularly then it's something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by