My hen was attacked and killed (graphic pics)...I am devastated

mprivett

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Chatham County, NC
So after we got home from work tonight one of our hens was missing from the coop. I feel horribly guilty because I let them out to free range today because they LOVE it so much. I usually try to make sure we are home while they are free-ranging but I started a bad habit when I began to let them out in the mornings. My husband searched all over the yard for about an hour and then after I got home I noticed some blood on our roo's tail feathers so I figured a predator must have gotten her
sad.png
Then I found her under a tree surrounded by hundreds of feathers EVERYWHERE dead and half-eaten. I am SOOOO sad and feel like such an AWFUL chicken momma
hit.gif

Everyone told us it would happen and it's just something you have to expect when you let them free range, but I guess I just thought it wouldn't happen to me. They are just so much healthier and happier when they are free ranging. I have one roo and two hens (left) and the poor things went through such a traumatic experience today....What kind of predator would have done this and will it come back? A fox or coyote maybe?

61868_imgp2568red.jpg

61868_imgp2572.jpg

I checked Mr. Rue over and didn't see any gashes or anything, I think he just got a big chunk of his tail feathers pulled out. Is there any other first aid that I should give him?

61868_imgp2574red_small.jpg

I'm so sorry this happened to your girl.

In my limited experience with predators, that looks to me like a dog or some sort of canine. It's about what I'd expect from a raccoon as well, but a lot messier and I would pretty much only expect them at night.

It's not at all what I would expect from an attack by a bird of prey. I just lost a rooster to one of those yesterday and I took photos to post, but I can't do it yet. Kudos to you for being able to, it will help somebody.

Looks like the work of a bird of a bird of prey. Scattered feathers and a partially eaten carcass. A fox or coyote would have eaten more and probably have left with the entire chicken. Sorry for your loss, and I recommend only free ranging while you are present during the near future. Sadly enough it will be back.

Thank you for the replies and your thoughts on what could have caused this. Darth Egger: So sorry to hear about the loss of your rooster
sad.png
I won't be letting them out to free-range unsupervised anymore.

Thats a hawk kill right there! I am sorry for your loss
sad.png

I have lost several hens this year to hawks and thats exactly how I found mine
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom