1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My hen was attacked and killed (graphic pics)...I am devastated

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mprivett, Nov 17, 2010.

1. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    So after we got home from work tonight one of our hens was missing from the coop. I feel horribly guilty because I let them out to free range today because they LOVE it so much. I usually try to make sure we are home while they are free-ranging but I started a bad habit when I began to let them out in the mornings. My husband searched all over the yard for about an hour and then after I got home I noticed some blood on our roo's tail feathers so I figured a predator must have gotten her [​IMG] Then I found her under a tree surrounded by hundreds of feathers EVERYWHERE dead and half-eaten. I am SOOOO sad and feel like such an AWFUL chicken momma [​IMG]

Everyone told us it would happen and it's just something you have to expect when you let them free range, but I guess I just thought it wouldn't happen to me. They are just so much healthier and happier when they are free ranging. I have one roo and two hens (left) and the poor things went through such a traumatic experience today....What kind of predator would have done this and will it come back? A fox or coyote maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I checked Mr. Rue over and didn't see any gashes or anything, I think he just got a big chunk of his tail feathers pulled out. Is there any other first aid that I should give him?

[​IMG]

2. Darth Egger

Darth Egger New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    I'm so sorry this happened to your girl.

In my limited experience with predators, that looks to me like a dog or some sort of canine. It's about what I'd expect from a raccoon as well, but a lot messier and I would pretty much only expect them at night.

It's not at all what I would expect from an attack by a bird of prey. I just lost a rooster to one of those yesterday and I took photos to post, but I can't do it yet. Kudos to you for being able to, it will help somebody.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks like the work of a bird of a bird of prey. Scattered feathers and a partially eaten carcass. A fox or coyote would have eaten more and probably have left with the entire chicken. Sorry for your loss, and I recommend only free ranging while you are present during the near future. Sadly enough it will be back.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Sorry this happened, I say it looks to be canine as well. Am willing to bet it was interrupted, explaining the dead carcass left behind.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If a canine, most likely, the bones would have been eaten rather than stripped of flesh.

6. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    Thank you for the replies and your thoughts on what could have caused this. Darth Egger: So sorry to hear about the loss of your rooster [​IMG] I won't be letting them out to free-range unsupervised anymore.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thats a hawk kill right there! I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

I have lost several hens this year to hawks and thats exactly how I found mine [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It does not look like any of the feathers have saliva on them when they were pulled out so i would say a bird of pray like Sourland stated

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with hawk. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    We've lost several at the bay to hawks, too. I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by