my hen was attacked by a possum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kshrub, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kshrub

kshrub New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    I don't know what to do because she has a lot of damage to her under belly. She is walking and eating and made it through the night, but I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily. Should I take her to a vet?

2. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    So sorry! I've never had a opossum attack but have trapped one. Hopefully someone can help. Can you give sugar water or polyvisol, no iron, for strength? Did you put neosporin without pain reliever on the wound &wash it with betadine/water mixture. Also, can you load a pix so other wiser chicken owners can give you an experienced answer?

3. farm-a-zootical

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm sorry again. I saw that this is your first post & from what I understand you need 10 posts to leave a pix. Perhaps you can leave some posts quickly on other threads? I 'm not sure how that works, either. But I know chickens are amazing healers!!

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If she is walking and eating then she probably can recover from her wounds as long as they don't get infected. If you have a vet who will see chickens then go ahead and take her if you want. You could try calling your regular vet to see if he or she will prescribe an antibiotic and get advice on cleaning the wound.

I had a hen with a serious injury and I cleaned her wound with betadine diluted in water then applied neosprin on a regular basis. She also got Penicillin shots (got at farm store) to prevent infection and she healed very well.

5. kshrub

kshrub New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    Thank you for your answers. I just gave her some water, but it literally dribbled out of her open wound. That is not a good sign. I feel horrible because she is more like a pet. I think she probably should be killed, but how? Everything sounds so violent and she's already been through so much violence.

6. farm-a-zootical

Sep 29, 2011
    So sad! Do you have a local vet to look at chickens? Or, do have any experience at stitches? I've had two hens killed by hawks while free ranging really close by the house but this is out of my zone. Can someone help? I've seen hens slaughtered throughout my childhood & it was always a very sharp ax or a neck break. You have to follow your heart. It won't lead you wrong because you love her.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh I'm so sorry about that. If you can afford it, maybe taking her to the vet is a good idea. The vet can assess if she can be helped, and if not can euthanize her humanely.

8. kshrub

kshrub New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    I found a vet that specializes in birds. (My husband thinks I'm crazy to care this much about a chicken!)
    I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your concern.

9. farm-a-zootical

Sep 29, 2011
    The best of luck to you! Please keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by