My hen was attcked by my dogs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wolfleader28, Nov 19, 2016.

1. wolfleader28

wolfleader28 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    She has had some feathers torn out. It is a 2 by 2 area. How do i take care of it. Please help

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I'm sorry about your hen though! Are there any open wounds? Blood? If there are just feathers torn out she should be in shock for a little while but she should get over it. I would make sure their run and coop were secure. Was it your dog? Your neighbors? Or a stray? I would keep a close eye out and make sure they stay safe. Hopefully this link will be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/636346/dog-attacked-chicken
    Keep us updated!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under wolfleader28 [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!

I am sorry to hear about your girl. Unfortunately I am not an expert when it comes to wound care but I hope that you are able to help her make a full recovery. There are lots of threads regarding wound care on BYC and also lots of experienced people with great advice. If you do not find answers you are looking for by searching previous threads, you could try starting you own post in the Emergencies, Diseases & Injuries Forum:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does she have any puncture wounds? those are more likely to get infected, so keep a close eye on them. It would be good if you posted a photo of her wound, so we can suggest appropriate care. In general you can wash out wounds with saline solution. Peroxide burns injured & healthy skin, so I don't recommend that. Then I would apply Neosporin ointment (NO CAINE product). Mainly keep her away from others as chickens will peck a wound and make it much worse, it can also bring out their cannibalistic tendencies.

For a bird that appears to be in shock put her in a quiet, warm, darkened place. Do not attempt to feed or water until she is acting more herself. Chickens generally have great recuperative powers IF they don't get infected.

I don't know what practices you will put into effect to prevent your dogs from ever harming another chicken. But, I like to tell folks that dogs and chickens should NEVER meet. You never hear of a chicken killing a dog but, dogs (and cats) certainly enjoy "playing" with them and the chicken is the one that ends up dead.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by