My hen was put down..Prevention ideas for the other girls...

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
My BR hen Buzzy is going to be put down. Two days ago I noticed that she had a glob of poop stuck on her back end. The heat was too much so I decided to wait to clean it off - I didn't want to stress her (she hates me cleaning off her rear end). Today I went to let the girls out, and Buzzy was standing by the waterer. No big deal, I thought. But then she didn't bother coming over for breakfast. So I picked her up and checked her out. She stunk.

Her whole back side is covered with wet poop and maggots. And that's not all. There is a huge gray blob with a red glob on it hanging out of a hole - and the hole is not her vent. It's below her vent. I really wish I could do something to save her... She's been my baby for 5 years and still lays an egg every day. She's my only barred Rock and the sweetest girl I have. But when I tried washing her off... This is going to give me nightmares... Around the edges of the gray blob... The maggots were eating through her skin. There were big maggots about 1/2 an inch long, and microscopic maggots barely a 1/16th inch. I don't know what the hole is from, unless it was caused by the maggots. But Buzzy seems to be in pain - she keeps closing her eyes and her breathing is slow and hard. She is drinking water like there's no tomorrow.. OH WHY DID I HAVE TO SAY THAT!!!
hit.gif
I had an issue with maggots once before, but that hen didn't have a prolapse thing. She had just pooped all over herself and the maggots appeared. She died a couple day later. But I don't want to put Buzzy through it for so long. She deserves to have a quick death with little pain... why am I talking about it... I don't want you to die Buzzy... I love you...

So I guess what I was supposed to be asking is... Is there anything I can do to prevent globs of poop on the rest of my birds? Some get messy bottoms, others don't. Any ideas why?

Last edited:
I know very little but my heart goes out to you and Buzzy. I do recall somewhere on here reading about a prolapse maggots and sugar. They swore if you leave the sugar on for 10 mins you will see a huge change in the bird. Also that maggots clean only infected tissue and not healthy tissue. Maybe do a search for that thread.

Have you given her electrolites at all? Again I know very little but I HATE being helpless. Last weekend when I found a 10 week old turkey in the water dish barely breathing with her eyes closed I did a gamet of things and we are still fighting it (blackhead) but 7 days later and she's running with the others for treats and all that good stuff.

I thought for sure it was a gonner but couldn't cull it without trying a huge bag of tricks.

I hope you both feel better really soon.

She's gone. my grandpa came over and put her down. At least she's out of her misery now... but how I wish she was still here...
3796_cryin.gif

I am so sorry. Thank goodness for those in our lives that can help where we can't.

Healing thoughts sent your way.

Im so sorry for you, I'm sorry for the bird. To bad you did not clean her up a few days earlier and maybe put her down then. Or maybe it would not have been so bad when you did discover the poop and clean it before the maggots? My heart goes out to you, ( hugs)
I check my girls from stem to stern 1 day a week, feet, bums eyes everything. To catch anything that might be a problem we do check them everyday and see there ok, but there butts weekly and there feet weekly in case there is something going on and we can treat faster before things go bad .

Quote:
It depends on the species. Some do eat living tissue, most do not eat living flesh.

I am sorry to hear about your bird, at least she is not suffering anymore.

I so commend you for not letting her suffer and doing the humane and mature thing. Many hugs to you!

When my hens have had icky bottoms, I catch them, clean them up and sometimes trim a few feathers around their vent so it doesn't attract the poop as much. Seems to work for mine. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom