my hen went broody already is it to early for her to set again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by little blue, Aug 24, 2010.

1. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    my hen hatched eggs on friday an on sunday we put the little guys in a brooder an put her back in the pen.now she is broody again is to soon for her will it be to much on her or should i let her set again she is an blue old english hen.thanks deb

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'd give her a week to get some weight back on and work her muscles some... chances are there will be more eggs and she will be broody again if she is prone to the behavior.

3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    thanks will do

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:she probably hasn't gotten it out of her system from the first time...after she is made to be off of the nest for some time, then she'll be fine. I had 2 bantam hens hatch out little ones the first of June, and they both believe it or not went broody again and hatched out some little ones last week..now the daughter from last year is gone broody and sitting on about 12 eggs...i just let them set when they want to and I have been very pleased with them. Once they hatch, I take the little ones into the brooder after 2 days and the moms just leave the nest.... Good Luck.

5. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    why not just let the hens raise the chicks? its alot easier

6. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:ya, it take more time and not easy at all...

7. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    Quote:ya, it take more time and not easy at all...

how dos it take more time and not easy i let the hens set somewhere in my barn wherever they decide (sometimes they set in the coop or unsecure area and i put them in a cage) then they free range with the chicks and they avoid the rest of my free range flock they take care of the chicks and dont need to use chick feed the mother hen makes sure they get the right diet

8. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    This happens a lot - just let her do her thing - mother nature will take care of the rest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by