My Hen went broody and look what happened!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mychookschick, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Ok, so, my hen went broody in the beginning of August and she was lookin' horrible! Here is a pic of her in her in her cage after she sat alone fo 3 weeks!This is an improvment from when she started:

[​IMG]

Then, she lived alone with her baby for awhile in that cage and NOW this is what she looks like!

[​IMG]

Not an extremely good pick but to fill you in: She grew ALL of her GORGEOUS chest/neck feathers back! You can now see her pretty lacing.... AND she is my ONLY comet with her feathers! All my other girls are just as bad or worse than she was at the beggining of broodiness!

Needless to say, I am more than pleased-- I got a new chick AND a hen with feathers! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

YAY! I'm so happy! I'm so happy! I'm so happy!

Edited because: I can't type and forgot to spell check! LOL [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
  2. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Aww. So happy for you. Cute little chick. I have questions. Did she set on only one egg? What's with the purple chest feathers?

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yes!

4. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    poor thing:( Im 8 and I say it was werth it [​IMG]:jumpy:cd

5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Tedabug: No, she sat on 5 eggs... But, it was her (and mine) first brood. So, I wasn't too disappointed.... And on the feathers... hehe she was getting picked on so for awhile she had Blu-kote on and that is the remnants! LOL She looked soo funny for the longest time-- I'm glad it's over!

6. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Well, I'm glad she got one baby to call her own. Cuteness.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    *b*e*a*u*t*i*f*U*l*

[​IMG]
    i wish i had a broody hen!!!!

8. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Hmm... I didn't know comets could go broody- I thought it was bred out of them. Once in a blue moon, I suppose.

BTW- Congratulations! There are very few things in life that can bring the amount of happiness you get from watching a chicken family. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by