my hen went broody :D

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farrellyred, May 16, 2011.

1. farrellyred

farrellyred Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    my buff sussex went broody today [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chicks will be really weird cause this is our roo (the pic shows the hen but our rooster is the exact same)
    [​IMG]

what do I have to do to take care of her? I have gave her access to food and water so thats not a problem. How do I feed the chicks when they hatch?[​IMG]
    thanks for any replies:)

2. fowlfrenzy1029

fowlfrenzy1029 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Garfield, KY
    congrats and good luck [​IMG]

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    If you are going to hatch the eggs, I'd suggest moving your broody **at night** to an isolated area where the other hens cannot disturb her nest.

If she lets you, I'd also number and candle the eggs as normal - no one wants a broody to be working on duds / blood rings.

When the chicks hatch, change the feed to chick starter instead of lay blends (if that is what you are currently feeding). Food blends for adults are usually too high in calcium for young chicks.

Good luck!

4. kristiesrottenrott

kristiesrottenrott New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Buy starter chick feed from your local TSC store...make sure you have a waterer that is shallow enough for the chicks to drink out of but not drowned, add rocks to it to be on the safe side. After the first or second day momma hen will take them outside and she will take care of everything else.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by