My hen whole head goes in the water when drink, is this normal,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pwand, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have an older hen almost 6 years old, when she drinks she dunks her head completely in the water when she drinks. Could it be possible that she can't see well? Its so cold right now, below freezing, I would think she would be cold from this.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple that do that, one even blows bubbles out her nares. Because of the extreme cold here I'm offering water indoors in a heated dog bowl which reduces the behavior. I was concerned too, didn't want a frozen comb and wattles...they're both drinking normally now and the bowl, 1.5 gal is not quite deep enough for their silliness! [​IMG]

3. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I HAVE A SILKIE THAT DOES THAT TOO. HER ENTIRE TOP KNOT GETS SOAKING WET AND HARD FROM THE COLD

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I can't find a dog dish that warms up here. I've used a aquarium heater that worked fine until this year, its making the water to hot. I will try a smaller dish.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Just when you think chickens cant get any more odd you read a post like this !! Silly chickens !!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've never seen a chicken do this! I've never even heard of it before. It is really amazing what you learn on BYC some days!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:They do sell them on Ebay. I've checked into them and they aren't to badly priced.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I think that's how my rooster frostbit his comb. They had no frostbite when our temps were down into the negatives even when it was -30F windchill. Then during a warm spell of 35-40F during the day and 20-30F at night he got frostbite. I'm pretty sure it's from letting his head get dunked while drinking in the evening. Then it turned cold and froze before his head dried.

I've been using a small heated bucket from the feed store with a brick and a rubber pan on the brick. I fill the bucket and the pan. They can drink around the edge of the pan if it gets empty but no one can fall in or drown in the bucket.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If it's a real concern you can get one of those waterers that dispenses the water with a nipple system.

10. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    [​IMG] crazy birds. I wonder if you have one that does that, will others follow suit? Or better yet, if you have a hen that drinks like that will she teach any she broods to drink in such a way? That'd certainly be a concern for frostbite!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by