My hen will not eat, feels hot, and is breathing hard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eowyn, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Eowyn

Eowyn Hatching

Sep 4, 2011
    Yesterday, I isolated one of my hens because she was sitting in the coop with ruffled feathers. Now that I can keep a closer eye on her, I've noticed that she isn't eating and if I stick my ear close to her mouth, she sounds like a dog panting. Her poop is mostly liquid with hardly anything solid in it (I'm guessing her poop looks like this because she's not eating). She feels hot, but I haven't taken her temp so I don't know for sure if she has a fever or not.
    She's a Barred Rock chicken and is six months old. Is there anything I can do for her, or should I just put her out of her misery?

2. AshPack

AshPack In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Is she closing her eyes? does she have anything in her crop? is her feaces completly clear?

3. Eowyn

Eowyn Hatching

Sep 4, 2011
    She's closing her eyes about halfway, her crop feels empty, and she has a little bit of white stuff in her poop. Also, she has been drinking a lot of water lately.

4. So sorry to hear about your hen! Have you checked her to see if she is egg bound?

5. Eowyn

Eowyn Hatching

Sep 4, 2011
    My hen just died, but thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by