1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Hen will NOT open her eyes...PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheUrbanFarm&Garden, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TheUrbanFarm&Garden

TheUrbanFarm&Garden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    I hate for my first post on this great forum to be urgent...We are new to owning backyard chickens (last 4 mo)....One of my 15 hens is sitting in our little coop on the roost acting sleepy and will not open up her eyes! I am so worried! This is our first illness. A Wellsummer pullet who should be laying sometime in the next month ...not quite sure of her age. We have had her for at least 4 weeks...she has been fine. She is now in our small coop, on the roost and will NOT open her eyes. I took her out of the coop (which is located in a large sunny run), turned her over and examined her...still acting lethargic and wont open her eyes. She escaped from my grasp and landed on the ground and was not standing up straight. I took her over to the water trough and she would not drink. She seemed fine yesterday...this must have happened over-night....Any Ideas??? Further exam I didnt find that she had anything on her tail feathers, not breathing rapidly, no discharge from eyes...Thanks so much!

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    If you'll go to my thread about my pullet you'll probably find exactly what's wrong with yours. It's probably a respiratory problem. A chicken's sinuses are right under their eyes so when their sinuses swell, it swells their eyes shut.

Here's the link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=557108

People have already commented on mine with lots of good information that is probably exactly what you need. So hopefully this will give you several answers in one post. lol

3. TheUrbanFarm&Garden

TheUrbanFarm&Garden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks so much! I will look right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by