My hen won't eat while raising her chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rachele, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Rachele

Rachele New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    My hen has just hatched her first chick, it is about 24-36 hours old but she has lost a lot of condition and can't get her to eat a lot, will she get better?

2. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Believe it or not they know what to do and how to do it. She will be fine!

3. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    If the chick won't eat, don't worry! They aren't supposed to yet! They live off the yolk for the first few days. Your momma hen will take care of it,
    If it's the hen that won't eat, I'm sure she will once the rest of the chicks have hatched. They are her too concern right now.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Momma usually stays on the nest a good 2 days after the first chick hatches, to give everyone a chance to hatch. she normally won't eat but once a day for this time, just like when she was brooding. After that 2 day mark she'll come off the nest with whoever has hatched and show them where to eat and drink, and momma will also.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G'Day Rachele [​IMG]
    I am also going through my first successful hatch with a broody and I also worried about her condition. She lost a lot of weight/condition during the nesting period and was so focused, she rarely even accepted treats. Because they are not burning up a lot of energy moving around, they don't need as much to eat. When the babies hatched, any treats I tried to feed her she promptly gave to the babies. As everyone has mentioned, she knew what she was doing. Five weeks down the track and she is pretty much back to post baby condition and weight and everyone is healthy and happy.
    Good luck with your new babies .. they are so very special; I treasure every minute with mine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by