My Hens are 8 months old and they have not started laying yet

PreppyRooster2

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
I got my 6 hens as chicks on March 23 of 2017 and I haven't gotten any eggs yet. I raised 6 for a friend as well and their 6 have started laying, his 6 were integrated into an existing flock and mine were the start of a new one. i have 3 Rhode island reds, 1 barred rock, and 2 ameracauna/aracaunas.Any suggestions for their environment? They have access to fresh food and water 24/7, I've begun giving them scratch grain as the winter approaches, I've also put a light in the coop to try and stimulate laying. They also free range a few days a week whenever I am home to supervise. I've placed golf balls in the nesting boxes as imitation eggs. I've raised chickens before and this is really confusing me.

some pics of the hens for reference:
IMG_1702 (2).jpg
IMG_1706 (2).jpg
IMG_1704 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1702 (2).jpg
    IMG_1702 (2).jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 3
join us! you are not alone!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-contest-for-the-duds.1206150/

My 5 girls all hatched between Feb. 15 and March 1, only 1 of 5 is laying. It's frustrating, but when I look at them, the others don't look ready.

Your girls look to be getting close, but do not quite look ready yet. Hopefully soon! Just keep them happy and healthy. Maybe someone else can chime in about supplemental light, I don't know much on that front as I've opted not to add any personally.

Where are you located? Shorter & cooler days could be part of the problem.

What are you feeding them? You say "giving them scratch grain" , hoping as a treat & not as feed it's lacking in nutritional good. Most feed layer at 18wks but I feed Flock Raiser (20% protein) at 6 - 8wks, adding Oyster Shells in a separate dish when their combs/wattles are red & they squat. Mine hatched Apr 3, started laying early Oct, I've got 4 BOs and getting 3 - 4 eggs a day. We maybe in Hawaii but our days are shorter & it's more overcast (RAIN) until Spring.

PirateGirl's right about yours look like they'r getting close, when they start squatting it will be within weeks. The extra light should help, they need (think) 12 - 14hrs sunlight. One thing they teach us is PATIENCE ;)

Where are you located? Shorter & cooler days could be part of the problem.

What are you feeding them? You say "giving them scratch grain" , hoping as a treat & not as feed it's lacking in nutritional good. Most feed layer at 18wks but I feed Flock Raiser (20% protein) at 6 - 8wks, adding Oyster Shells in a separate dish when their combs/wattles are red & they squat. Mine hatched Apr 3, started laying early Oct, I've got 4 BOs and getting 3 - 4 eggs a day. We maybe in Hawaii but our days are shorter & it's more overcast (RAIN) until Spring.

PirateGirl's right about yours look like they'r getting close, when they start squatting it will be within weeks. The extra light should help, they need (think) 12 - 14hrs sunlight. One thing they teach us is PATIENCE ;)

Located in the Northeast, we've had a few below freezing nights but nothing consistent, ive given them the scratch grain as a treat of course

ive given them the scratch grain as a treat of course
But what is their regular feed?

How are you applying the light, with a timer??
When did you start the light?
How long is it on?
Lighting is no guarantee and can take time to 'kick in'.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

They sure look close to ready.
Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom