We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

My hens are bullies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by USMC chicken mommy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. USMC chicken mommy

USMC chicken mommy In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2019
    I have 4 hens that remain (the neighbors dog killed 6 about 2 months ago) and last week, the damn dog was after them again. (The dog should’ve been taken care of the first time but I have learned my lesson and now carry a gun on myself, which is SAD) none died, thank goodness, but he got ahold of Wilma (one of my buffs) and took a chunk out of her back. I rushed her to the vet, and he gave her antibiotics and pain meds, told me to flush with water, and told me to keep her in my bathroom until her follow up (which was today).

She is as healed as she will ever be, as meat and skin don’t come back once it’s gone, and he told me she can be returned to the rest of the girls.
    Needless to say, they started pecking at her, and made her bleed again. I have her isolated from the rest of them now in the chicken tractor. They can all see each other, but can’t get to her. And they are hovering. Like vultures. Since she will never be the same, as she will always have places on her without feathers, no meat, etc....how do I return her to “normal” flock without them bullying?

I am in NC and it is sweltering here, as with most of the country. With that being said, with the small place that’s bleeding, I am concerned about flies. I am about to my wits end. Please help.

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Meat and skin do actually grow back. Muscle and skin are both supposed to heal. If a large chunk is removed, it may just scar over instead of filling in, but by and large things will at least try to regrow.

What does the wound look like?

Chickens will often target open wounds on others.

AmyJane725 and TheBantyShanty like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of the wound? It is sad how the others will go after one that has been out of the flock for more than a couple of days or has been injured. I have a single hen who had been lame for a few weeks, and she has to live separate from her flock on the other side of the fence. She had been high in the pecking order before.

SWAT is a horse ointment that can be applied to help keep flies off a wound.

4. courtsmarans

courtsmarans Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    NW Ohio
    I would put a chicken saddle on her. Super easy to sew one up. I use just cotton (no batting in the middle) to protect my girls back from an over loving roo. I feel this would also help your girl from not only keeping the other girls from bothering it but to also help with the flies. Let me know if you need a pattern!

AmyJane725 likes this.
  5. USMC chicken mommy

Feb 5, 2019
    Ill post a picture, as they are on my phone instead of my tablet. It’s pretty bad, I can tell you that. I kept her inside, have her antibiotics and pain meds everyday...she was eating and drinking great, and, honestly, I believed she enjoyed being in the air conditioning. Her wound was healed, but just scabbed over in black, and the vet said to rinse it with salt water. Everything was fine until she was out for no more than 5 minutes. I have her in the tractor and have watched her all day, and she’s looking better. The vet told me not to use anything on her as it mats the feathers to the wound. Her feathers around the missing chunks are growing back....and the skin will heal but it was bad and there was nothing to stitch back together and like he said, once the muscle is gone, it’ll heal but will not return. He even said feathers wouldn’t grow there and for me, of course, not to get a rooster as it would more than likely kill her.

I am going to go against drs orders though, and apply Neosporin on her to help with speedy healing. I don’t want to lose her as I have worked so hard to keep her, and now her sisters are trying to eat her.

I’m hoping...keeping my fingers crossed, that after her feathers grow back in, they will cover the open part on her back. I’m just worried. She’s not roosting as she would rather lay in the bedding inside the coop now. I may have to keep her separate for the rest of her life.

AmyJane725 likes this.
  6. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    If you're careful not to get anything on the feathers, it shouldn't cake them.

7. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Really sorry you're going through all this with the poor girl. :(

Have you had a word with your neighbor about keeping their dog on their property, or are you going the SSS route if the dog comes back for more? (Probably best not to talk to them about it if you're planning on SSS, because then they'd be suspicious if the dog disappears...)

I'd definitely keep her separated until the wound is completely healed, no scabs to be pecked open, etc. And that fly spray @Eggcessive mentioned is a good idea. Fly strike could easily kill her if it gets out of hand. I agree with your decision to apply neosporin. I would have too. Hang in there. :hugs

8. USMC chicken mommy

Feb 5, 2019
    Just so everyone knows, my girl is fine and dandy :) the neighbors dog is, who knows where, but yes, I had a chat with him. In NC, the law is an animal can be shot even if they are chasing poultry, that I do not have to wait until an attack. Unfortunately, I have a loaded 380 beside the door now. Honestly, I don’t think people understand the law, as they think just because we live in the country, they can allow their animals to run at large and not be responsible. I guess I’ll have to be “that neighbor” who just had to buy a home here. Thanks you guys!

AmyJane725 likes this.
  9. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Glad to hear things are going well :)

How did the neighbor take it when you talked to him?

10. USMC chicken mommy

Feb 5, 2019
    Well, he was very apologetic and paid for the vet bill. I think he knew it could’ve been much worse as the very same dog was seen carrying off 6 of my hens close to 2 months ago, but I couldn’t prove the dog actually killed them. I seen the dog this time. Like any other small town, now everyone knows he paid for the bill, as everyone likes to mind other people’s business, and the other neighbors are like “welcome to the country”. No, see, country or not, keep your animals In your yard or they will be dealt with accordingly.

AmyJane725 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: